BBAW: Unexpected Treasure

Well, I for one have had an absolute blast with this years Book Blogger Appreication Week so far. I've discovered so many new interesting blogs - especially the wonderful Amy of Amy Reads, who I swapped interviews with yesterday. In keeping with their 'treasure' theme, today the BBAW committee asked us all to:
We invite you to share with us a book or genre you tried due to the influence of another blogger.  What made you cave in to try something new and what was the experience like?
Now I'll admit that this topic was a bit of a hard one for me. As far as genre reading goes, I'm pretty dang predictable of late. Lots of fantasy with good amounts of YA thrown in for good measure. Sure, I read books all the time that were recommended to me by other bloggers, but they generally tend to always fall within those two genres. Then I remembered a very, very dear series of books that were fortuitously recommended to me by another blogger -- Angie of Angieville. Angie's picks are, of course, legendary and these were no exception. But it took me a little prodding to finally make my way to their goodness because of the simple genre labeling stumbling block -- mystery. Otherwise known as immediately-not-interested to Michelle.

Curious yet?

Well, the books were the Lady Julia Grey mysteries by Deanna Raybourn and the rest, they say, is history. I adore Julia and her crazy family and I am also deeply smitten with one Nicholas Brisbane. This entire series about an unconventional woman of means who can coolly solve mysteries is utter perfection. Mystery has never really been my 'thing' before, but after adoring every single one of Deanna Raybourn's books, I'm starting to rethink that status.

series reading order:
~ Silent in the Grave
~ Silent in the Sanctuary
~ Silent on the Moor - my review 
~ Dark Road to Darjeeling (my review will be up next week - trust me, it's good)

What unexpected treasure have you discovered thanks to a fellow blogger?

6 comments:

Chachic said...

Angie's picks are, of course, legendary

They really are! Angie has magical powers of recommendation. Hey, I've been curious about these books because I've seen you guys post about them. I used to read a lot of mystery back in high school because my friend would let me borrow her books, but I haven't gone back to the genre in a while. I'll take note of these books and try to read the first one soon.

April (BooksandWine) said...

Angie's taste is freakin great. I am going to add these books now.

Also if you like mystery with awesome women, check out the Amelia Peabody mysteries. They are set in Egypt during victorian era which is awesome.

Holly said...

I'm excited for your DARJEELING review! Did you get the netgalley ARC?

Amy said...

Wonderful new books to try, from the sounds of it! I don't read a lot of mystery books, but maybe some day!

Angiegirl said...

"An unconventional woman of means"... Love it. This is a series so close to my heart I'm always a tad nervous handing it out because I want so badly for people to like it the way I do. I was so relieved you did. :)

And I can't wait to read your DARJEELING review. Good heavens, I loved that book.

And next up on my Get Michelle to Read More Mysteries Evil Plan shall be Mary Stewart. NINE COACHES WAITING, I'm thinking... Or perhaps MADAM, WILL YOU TALK? Hm...

Michelle said...

Chachic - I really do think you would like these books. They are unique and so well written.

April - You should give them a go! And I have heard of the Amelia Peabody books - I really need to track them down. I'm definitely loving the idea of Egypt.

Holly - I actually received an ARC through the publicist. I'm sure you can imagine how giddy I was when they asked me to review it ;)

Amy - Oh Amy, if you are going to try any mystery novel, it should be these. They are so dang well-written and full of interesting tidbits on Shakespeare and Victorian culture and even gypsies! I love them so much.

Angie - I feel the same way. I never know if someone will quite understand how nuanced Julia's stories are - but I'm glad you passed them on to me, cause I adore them. And Mary Stewart you say?? Hmmm... perhaps that can be arranged..