Twitter me this

As it happens, I am probably one of the only five people left on this little blue-green planet who haven't opened a Twitter account. This last week I've had *several* folks cajole me into signing up and so today I finally took the plunge and added myself to the ranks of tweeters.

My question is this: How do you use Twitter? Is it more for fun or do you use it to promote your blog? If so, how? Blog post updates? Random thoughts while reading?

It should be no surprise to say I'm not exactly sure of the best way to use this device, but I am seeing the possibilities. Follow me @SeeMichelleRead - and if you have an account, let me know, I'm still trying to figure out this whole thing but I have a sneaky suspicion it's going to add quite a bit of time to my normal internetting schedule...

8 comments:

Kath said...

I still haven't signed up for a twitter account, I'm not sure how it all works. Good luck!

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I am one of your twitter followers now! :)

You can use it like you said : blog posts updates, random thoughts while reading, you can also post random thoughts on books you want to read or discuss about them live with other people! Also, you can link your Twitter to your Goodreads account, so that when you review a book or add it to your shelf, it automatically posts it on Twitter.

One of the things I love though, is that it gives me the chance to know bloggers out of the "book world". Sometimes people post about a new recipe they tried or post a picture of their dog, and it's just an amazing way to get to know each other better.

Chachic said...

I'm one of the five people you mentioned who still haven't signed up for Twitter. But I think it's kind of similar to updating your Facebook status, right? So you can post about anything - random thoughts about reading, a quote from a book, post a link to a review in your blog. Good luck with Twitter!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I am now following you too!

I used to use twitter to promote my blog, but everytime I tweeted a link, I got approx. 100 spam comments on the post I linked to. NOT worth it.

Now, I like to go on there occaisionally to see what others are up to. And I click on others links a lot and find great stuff!

Holly said...

Yay!!!

Angiegirl said...

Well, you know how I feel about this extremely smart move of yours... :)

Honestly, twitter is just too fun not to use. I have it set up to send out a tweet whenever I post on my blog. But most of my time on there is spent chatting and laughing hysterically with other awesome bloggers and authors.

Medical Librarian said...

I'm still not on the Twitter boat, and I just really started getting into Facebook recently.

I'm not so enthusiastic about the idea of reading about, or sharing with others, down-to-the-minute reports on what's happening.

Christine said...

Oh my goodness. You caved. LOL.

I'm a fairly new reader of your blog, but I'd love to follow you on Twitter. I'll find you... ;)

Have fun!