Crazy for You by Jennifer Cruise

If you hadn't already noticed the lack of activity happening at this here bloggy, I've been in a bit of a reading slump. Sad, but true. I found myself picking up book after book only to set it back on the shelf, never quite in the mood for whatever the reason (although in all fairness part of the blame lies with me having just reread Ellen Emerson White's brilliant President's Daughter series - it's dang hard to follow such genius). But then I had a revelation of sorts: what I really needed was something light and fluffy with a happy little side of romance. Some snappy dialogue was in order too. Who better to deliver on all counts than the ever-fun Jennifer Cruise?

Whenever anyone has a problem or a crisis the person to go to is undoubtedly Quinn McKenzie. She's known for being cool and collected even under the most trying circumstances - Quinn is just an all around sweet, practical girl. But Quinn is bored with her practical life. She's never been one to break the rules or kick up a fuss but as soon as she lays eyes on a particularly scruffy stray dog, Quinn knows this is something she can't walk away from. Even with the constant reminders from her nice-guy boyfriend Bill that their apartment does not allow dogs, Quinn is determined to keep 'Katie' even if it means sacrificing every other part of her her calm, predictable life. But Quinn never thought one little dog could stir up so much trouble. Suddenly she's on the outs with Bill, involved in clandestine dog-napping, considering becoming a homeowner, and eyeballing her longtime best-friend Nick in a very non-friend sort of way. At least Quinn can no longer say her life is boring.

I knew I needed a little sass to shake me out of my funk and Crazy for You did the job perfectly. As a high school art teacher ready to declare her independence, Quinn is an entirely believable woman. Feeling like she's settled, Quinn begins to take charge of her life in small ways that (of course) have more far reaching effects than she ever considered possible. And in the process of making a stand for herself, she manages to inspire her mother and her best friend Darla to do the same, leading to some unforeseen consequences and multiple house guests. Jennifer Cruise also always manages to strike the perfect note with a set of truly unforgettable secondary characters: including a paranoid high school teacher, a local home-wrecker with a heart, and insecure high school teenagers. Each one adding enough humor and heart to keep the pages flipping fast. Crazy for You was entertaining. It was light. It was just what I needed to get out of my funk.

book source: my local library

5 comments:

Chachic said...

Aww so sad to hear about your reading slump. But I'm glad that you enjoyed a Jennifer Crusie book. I haven't heard of this one but I'm definitely taking note of it because I've become a Crusieholic. :)

Angiegirl said...

I think our reading slump cycles have aligned. Ugh.

Crusie really is good for what ails you, though isn't she? I haven't read this one. But I actually went out and bought BET ME it was so delightful. Glad this one helped. :)

Michelle said...

Chachic - I know what you mean, I think I've already read three of hers this week alone. They are good for some fun, mindless reading!

Angie - I so dislike it when nothing sounds good. But yes, Cruise is so fun and I actually went looking for BET ME but everyone was out, so I got this one and FAKING IT - which is also a pleaser - instead. I will need to try BET ME eventually though...

Brenda said...

I'm so with you on the reading slump. It's taking me forever to finish shorter YA books, even.

Janicu said...

Besides BET ME, I haven't read any other Crusie books. Just because I am not sure WHERE to start. This one looks promising though. I'll have to remember it.