See Michelle Read in 2010

Happy New Years everybody!!

Unbelievable as it may seem, I'm currently sitting here in my California desert home watching the SNOW fall and feeling very ready to curl up and remember some of my favorite reads from 2010. This past year saw some incredible books come my way - some old, some new and many leaving me in a puddle of squealing girlie-fandom. And so now, here are my Best Of's for 2010...

Best Debut ~ Split by Swati Avasthi
One of the best male POV teen books I've ever read, Split is a gripping yet heartbreaking story. Jace's voice stayed with me for days afterward and I just want to shove this book into every single persons hand.

Best Retelling ~ Jane by April Lindner
I think I've made my undying love for this book perfectly clear but I'll say it again: this modern retelling of Jane Eyre is pitch perfect. Jane falling in love with rockstar Nico Rathburn is simply stunning. Haunting prose, soul mates, and chemistry practically oozing off the page. Read it.

Best Urban Fantasy ~ Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews
Magic Bleeds packs some serious sizzle friends. This latest installment basically cemented Kate's status as my top UF heroine. Kate is tough yet freaking hilarious and her relationship with Curran... oh boy.

Best YA Fantasy ~ The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan
Mae truly is something else. Pink hair and no magic except for her razor sharp wits. And those Ryves' brothers? Um yes. Their dynamic, volatile relationship is never, ever boring and the twists just keep on coming.

Best Fantasy ~ The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Thank heavens that Ana over at The Book Smugglers gushed incessantly over this one. Day one of Kvothe's tale had me riveted. I just know The Wise Man's Fear (or day two) will be just as astounding.

Best Throwback ~ The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman
I had never yet experienced the awesomeness that is Sally Lockhart until this year but I'm so glad I finally did. This entire series is fantastic, but Sally's first adventure is truly heart-pounding unforgettable.

Best Dystopian YA ~ The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Yeah, yeah. I know this one came out in 2009 so I'm a cheating a bit here folks but I did call it back in January and nothing has even come close to changing my mind. Brilliant and compelling - the complete unravellling of Todd's entire world blew my mind. And Manchee broke my heart.

Best New Author Discovery ~ Jacyln Moriarty
And to think my latest crush all started with a little book called The Ghosts of Ashbury High. I had no idea what awesomeness I'd be jumping into when I first picked this one up but I couldn't help searching out Feeling Sorry for Celia, The Murder of Bindy MacKenzie, and The Year of Secret Assignments right away. Jaclyn Moriarty is flawless in her depictions of friendships and the trials of being a teen. Also, she's side-splitting funny.


So if anyone's keeping track that's about 163 books read this year - not as many as 2009, but still respectable nonetheless. All in all, 2009 was a banner year for sure. What were some of your favorites from 2010?

9 comments:

Chachic said...

Wait, it's really snowing in California?!

Yay, so many good books in your list! I really should do a reread of the Sally Lockhart books so I could review them on the blog. And I hope I could pick up Patrick Ness' books this year since you and Holly have given them good feedback.

Happy New Year, Michelle! :)

Janicu said...

163! Dang...

I'm going to have to try out Jaclyn Moriarty. Between you and Ana from the Book Smugglers, she's highly praised.

I really liked The Name of the Wind too. I listened to it on audiobook a few months ago, and ug, I am really behind on reviewing that one.

Liviania said...

You have two of my favorites on your list! I'm so glad I've finally started to read Ilona Andrews.

Anonymous said...

It is heartening to see Jane make your list, as the book is high on my wishlist. Happy 2011!

Amy said...

Great list of books! Split really was awesome wasn't it?! All the best in 2011.

Holly said...

I think you only read like, 100 books more than me. :) Looks like it was a good year. Great list and Happy New Year!

Angiegirl said...

Yay for Sally Lockhart! I love seeing her on your list. Such a wonderful series...

Michelle said...

Chachic - Yep. Real snow. We woke up to 3 or 4 inches this morning! And I think you'd like the Patrick Ness books, give them a go when you can!

Janicu - Yes Moriarty is the Wo-man. Her books blow my mind.

Liviania - Ahhh.. Kate Daniels. So good aren't they?

Irisonbooks - Yep. Jane is a winner.

Amy - Split was wonderful! Happy New Years to you too!

Holly - Happy New Year to you - can't wait to hear about the new arrival ;)

Angie - Yep. Sally definitely is now on my list of all time favorites.

Lisa Lee said...

For those of you who like the Sally Lockhart books, BBC did an excellent miniseries with them.