Best of 2012

Happy New Year to you! As I'm still trying to get used to writing 2013 on all my dates, I wanted to take a moment to wrap up my reading for 2012. This year I read 128 books and although that number is a bit less than in years past, I definitely picked up some tremendous winners. True to form some are new, some are old and some well, some just stole my heart and have since refused to give it back.

Jumping off the list I started back in July, here are my picks for my favorite reads of 2012.

 
Best. Period. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein and The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Okay, I know that doesn't make much sense to pick two when I say 'best period.' But I simply can't forget either of these incredible books. And plus since The Scorpio Races is technically a 2011 book, I'm gonna say it totally counts. I've already read these two multiple times this year alone and I can see myself returning to them time and again.

Best Retelling For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
Goodness. Ms. Peterfreund hit it out of the universe (pun intended) with this spot-on dystopian(!) retelling of Persuasion. Whenever I look at this book it just makes me feel sparkly all over.

Best Debut Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen
This one could also get the best retelling award but newbie A.C. Gaughen just blew me away with her retelling of Robin Hood wherein Will Scarlet is actually a tough-talking, knife-wielding girl. I KNOW!

  
I know, I know. This pick is simply no fair since I've never even reviewed a single October Daye book on this here bloggy. Shameful. Especially since every single book in this series is witty, addictive, and so well researched. But there really is something special about Ashes of Honor. Perhaps it has sometime to do with a certain feline...hhmmmm? And then there's Fair Game -- COMPLETELY changed my opinion of the entire Alpha & Omega series. Cannot wait for more.

Best Fantasy Shadowfell by Juliet Marillier
This pick should really come as no surprise to anybody. Juliet Marillier is one of my go-to authors and her newest series is so. very. good. Can't wait for Neryn. And Flint.

Best Dystopian Feed by Mira Grant
How is it that TWO Seanan McGuire's books have made my best of list yet I have reviewed neither? *headdesk* It simply must be because this woman can seriously write. Her family dynamics are superb and the action with smack you upside the head with its unexpectedness. Oh, how it ripped my heart in two. In a good way, that is.


Best Throwback The Wind-Witch by Susan Dexter
It seems I read quite a few oldies this year, but The Wind-Witch crept up on me with its lush prose and tales of Druyan's quiet determination. How could I not love this gripping and lovely story? *sigh* Plus it makes me want to go hop on a horse.

  
Best Author Revelation Lloyd Alexander
I should say specifically his Westmark trilogy. How could I have gone through my entire youth with no kindly teacher, no librarian or no friend recommending his books to me?!? Alexander's brilliant turn of phrase and complicated characters utterly cemented this oldie onto my list of good books forever.

For their exceptional characters and unique storytelling abilities, Honorable Mentions should go to:

    
 

There you have it. The books I just haven't managed to forget (nor do I want to).
What's on your list?

8 comments:

Liviania said...

I agree with so many of these. And I really need to read Flat-Out Love.

Holly said...

I loved many of these as well. Which reminds me, I really need to read Lloyd Alexander! I missed him in my youth too.

Angiegirl said...

FAIR GAME was unbelievably good. I adore her for writing it when she did.

Michelle said...

Liviania - Yes! FLAT OUT LOVE is so much fun. Highly recommended.

Holly - I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one :) Although, yes, read him. Knocked my socks off, really.

Angie - Wasn't it just great? I can't wait to see what she has in store next.

joolee said...

oh boy, can't wait to read some of these! thanks for the recommendations! and yes, DO read Night Circus! it was so sensory and surreal...it would make such a fabulous movie. i'm excited to read it again for book club next month.

ImageNations said...

Your love for fantasy novels is impressive. Good work

Chelle said...

You'd think with my undying love for McGuire's Toby Daye series leading the way I'd have read her Feed series. And yet...I own the first two and still need to get to them.

Anonymous said...

Yay for both The Scorpio Races and Code Name Verity! Loved those two titles as well.