Masterpiece: Downton Abbey

PBS Masterpiece just gets better and better every season, doesn't it?
This most recent Masterpiece Classic miniseries brings us the incredible Downton Abbey - a story of a traditional English household, upstairs and down, at the turn of the century. I for one am loving every second of it. So many fabulous characters, intrigues, and insights to that turbulent period of time. If you haven't checked this one out, be sure to do so. It's only online for free until February 22nd. Although - I still have two more episodes to watch, so if you've seen them all already (lucky!) Please. Don't Tell Me What Happens!

In expected fashion, I already have my favorite quote of the series (so far) and it came from the imposing Dowager Countess, played by the fabulous Maggie Smith:  "No Englishman would ever dream of dying in someone else's house!"

Love.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite exchange so far also involves the Countess. Here it is (no spoilers, don't worry):

Lady Grantham: "You are quite wonderful the way you see room for improvement wherever you look. I never knew such reforming zeal."

Mrs. Crawley: "I take that as a compliment."

Lady Grantham: "I must've said it wrong."

Love it! And the whole show! I'm already anxiously awaiting the second season!

ImageNations said...

Love your quote Michelle.

Lisa Lee said...

Watched it last week for the first time and loved it too. Maggie Smith is such a treasure.

Got a new book for you - The Donna. Author is friend of girl in our book club. Great storyline, medievalish, with girls/women who are secretly the protectors of the king and other high up nobility. Everyone else thinks they are the lowest echelon in society, just some type of boring servant. Actually they are trained heavily in combat skills (only to be used in the most dire need to maintain the secret), matters of diplomacy, spycraft, etc. Super YA book. Set to be a series of 4. The negative - Needs better editing, everyone pointed out typos and some rough patches that were a little contradictory, but the premise is fascinating.

Carmen Ferreiro-Esteban said...

Great show, I agree.

I love your quote.

My favorite is also from the countess when she tells her grandaughter:
"Women don't have opinions until they marry. Then, their husbands will tell them what to think."

You can read my review below if interested. Can't wait for the second season.
http://www.notreadyforgrannypanties.com/2011/02/masterpiece-theater-in-pbs.html