See Michelle Read in 2009

2009 was a pretty busy year for me and full of firsts. I quit my dream job as a librarian to be a full-time mom, I moved 3 times (to 3 different states), and started this here bloggy in order to keep my sanity while I stay at home with a toddler. Of course, I also read a monstrous pile of books (over 180) and thought I'd pick out some of my favs to share.

****drumroll****

Best YA...Period: Fire by Kristin Cashore
Some of the most beautiful and original writing I've come across in a while, surrounded by characters who will just about break your heart with their loyalty, love, and courage. Love, love.

Best YA Fantasy: The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan
Just knock me over and tie me up, cause Nick takes the cake in this book. At one point I alternately either loved or despised each and every character and could not have been more caught off guard by the ending. Can. Not. Wait. For. The. Sequel.
Best Urban Fantasy: Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews
What began as a promising kickbutt heroine UF set in a magic-ravaged Atlanta has turned into one of my favorite UF series to date. Kate and Curran keep circling each other and even though they aggravate each other to no end, I have a feeling things are just going to get more interesting in the much anticipated sequel, Magic Bleeds.

Best Sequel: Ballad by Maggie Stiefvater
James' tragic love story with a rockin' soul-sucking faery was nothing short of drool-inducing, heart rate-spiking, grade-A Book Crack.

Best Throwback to 2008: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Frickin' brilliant writing that I am still trying to wrap my brain around. I think Marchetta should also get an award for creating one deliciously flawed cast of characters - every one is a ringer.
Best Classic Novel: Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson
I picked this one up after loving Amy Adams in the movie remake and promptly got lost in the clever dialogue and gorgeous vintage illustrations. A laugh out loud feel-gooder that will remain a keeper.

One New York man trying to live every single law in the Bible for an entire year? Hilarity will ensue.

Best Author Discovery: Ellen Emerson White
Hands down this goes to Ellen Emerson White along with a big thank-you to Angie at Angieville for bringing her to my attention. After devouring The Road Home, I quickly moved on to her Echo Company series and then straight into the President's Daughter books. Seriously, anything that woman writes is solid gold and if you haven't had a chance to dive into her books yet, please DO!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've got a few picks in common for our top of 2009, but what I really wanted to comment on was Miss Pettigrew - the movie, not the book, which I need to read. I just watched it a couple of weeks ago, and...Lee Pace! What a wonderful film.

Michelle said...

Chelle - Wasn't it just perfect?! I so loved everything about Amy Adams and Lee Pace. Sigh - it's one I need to pull out again and you should definitely read!!

Angiegirl said...

*sigh* Well, that's just a peach of a list. I fully support it. :)

Lenore Appelhans said...

I need to get my hands on The Year of Living Biblically. Sounds like a riot!

Fire is on my list of faves too.

Michelle said...

Angie - you crack me up girly!! And I must say, I have you to thank for many of these recommendations...

Lenore - Yes, Jacobs is funny is a self-depreciating way that New Yorker's pull off so well. Highly recommended.

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I LOVED The Demon's Lexicon, too, and I'm so glad I saw it on so many lists today! I see you enjoyed many great titles I want to read, too : Fire, Jellicoe Road, Ballad...
Happy New Year!

Michelle said...

Kay - thanks so much and happy new year to you as well! And I highly suggest you pick up fire, JR and Ballad .. each are fantastic!!