Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson

I have so many good things to say about this sweet, charming, hilarious, and poignant little book! It's got to be one of my favorites this year so far.

Miss Pettigrew is a governess who can't hold a job and is now at her wits end. In hopes of a new position, she is sent by her agency to an upscale neighborhood but instead of a house full of unruly children, Miss Pettigrew finds herself helping the lovely Miss Delysia LaFosse (a beautiful nightclub singer) who needs help managing the various men in her life. Nick - the handsome bounder who can melt you with a glance, Phil - the man who just might be able to back Miss LaFosse in his next production, and finally Michael - who actually wants to marry Delysia but who Miss Pettigrew doesn't exactly approve of. In a series of comedic exchanges where Miss Pettigrew throws off her straight-laced upbringing, she helps Delysia and her friends sort through problems while worming her way into everyone's heart. After spending a day withe Miss LaFosse Miss Pettigrew knows her life will never be the same again - as she truly learns the meaning of living.

I loved every single character who graced the pages of this book, I loved the illustrations that look like they were pulled from some 1940s magazine, most of all I loved Miss Pettigrew's discovery of herself and her extremely witty conversation. Her inner monologue was priceless and I found myself (like everyone else in the book) wondering just what amazing thing she would do next.

Just watch the trailer and see if you don't want to rush out and see this lovely film. Amy Adams just happens to be the PERFECT Miss LaFosse.

1 comment:

Cherie said...

I loved this movie! I haven't read the book, but I just may after reading your review.